My goal is to assist you in specific musculoskeletal needs during pregnancy and after the arrival of a new baby. Whether you are experiencing unwanted pain or want to have an optimized pregnancy with knowledge about your body and pelvic floor – I can help! Together we can address new problems that arise during the physical and psychological stresses that the body endures and/or address existing dysfunction that is exacerbated during pregnancy.
Symptoms may include, but not limited to:
- Back pain
- Neck pain and Headaches
- Sciatica, sacral, hip, pubic symphysis, or tailbone pain
- Urine leakage
- Urinary urgency/frequency
- Pelvic pressure/heaviness
- Painful intercourse
- Colorectal dysfunction
Prepartum physical therapy includes:
- Subjective history about past pregnancies, gynecologic surgeries, past injuries, current limitations, and overall goals
- Thorough postural examination (due to shifts in weight distribution during pregnancy)
- Education on correct pelvic floor health and abdominal muscle changes
- Education on ways to provide pain relief independently while at home
- Individualized exercise prescription
- Manual therapy for connective tissue, fascia and muscle restrictions, myofascial trigger point release, scar mobilization, manual stretching
Prenatal exercises can enhance body awareness, flexibility, and endurance. The pelvic floor muscles and core stabilizing muscles are intimately involved in the childbirth process. These muscles function at their full potential when they are lengthened, strengthened, and uninhibited by myofascial trigger points.
Enjoy your pregnancy more and learn about body changes and how to take care of yourself after childbirth.